Sunday, May 4, 2014

3:00 AM Walk

Saturday night I woke up and decided to take a walk. About half way down the street with my walking stick I heard a voice. I turned to the left and there was a guy wearing a cowboy hat standing by a van hooked to a trailer.  He was in his late 20's to early 30's and asked me where I was going. I told him down the road. He said you look like you already been down the road. I thought it an insult and walked over to him. I looked him straight in the eye and said "What did you say?" He said you look like you already been down the road.

I paused for a second and said yes I have. He smiled at me and I said "you in a band? (because of the van and trailer)"  He said yep, Mike and the moon pies. I said where is the big red. He laughed and asked me what I was doing out at 3:00 AM and told him I was taking a walk, Doc says I need exercise then asked him what he was doing out. He said we been on the road playing and we got a set tonight here in Fort Worth. I asked him about his band and he talked the language. So I told him that I used to have a band it was called Southern Wind.

He asked me what I played and I said guitar, harmonica and was the lead vocalist. He told me he played the same things, then reached out to shake my hand. We probably talked for ten minutes about band stuff, talking about the wives of the players and how hard it was to keep a band together. It's weird, just weird how it all happened. He asked me what broke up the band. I said my bass player died in a 4wheeler accident checking his cattle. I carried him to his grave with the other band members. I told him how he a Vietnam vet taught me to play guitar.

I put my finger on and tipped his hat and told him, enjoy it while you can, it may seem hard but you will look back one day and realize how special it was. Then I said every thing goes away, everything. And he put his hand out again we shook hands and I left.

2 comments: