Thursday, March 27, 2014

Hang Fire - Gun Safety

What is hang fire? Hang fire as most of my readers know is when a firearm snaps and the cartridge does not fire immediately, but waits a small amount of time and then fires. There are many reasons that could cause hang fire, damp powder, defective primer and ect...

Safety - If you hear the snap of a firearm and it does not go off, hold your position, do not move. If it is going to go off it will in 2 seconds or less. I count to 10 at a public firing range or 5 out the farm before moving. If the gun does not go off I point it in a safe direction and unload the cartridge and let it fall. I wait another 30 seconds and then inspect the primer to see if it was hit. After the inspection I conclude if the primer was hit and other cartridges of the same lot have been firing that the primer was bad. If it is the first shot of the lot I am not sure and am careful with the rest of them knowing this might happen again.

I have been shooting trap and my shotgun went click. I immediately stopped the swing of my gun and held and less than a second later the gun fired.

Always assume the firearm will fire and keep the business end of the gun down range and safe.

2 comments:

  1. I have never had a hang fire but I have had some duds. I have reloaded shells I forgot to put powder in. Big fun. My uncle said be careful hunting doves. The feathers get into your empties, and block the primer fire causing a dud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Res Ipsa sent me. Glad to have back blogging again.

    ReplyDelete