Monday, June 9, 2014

It is the Rabbit!


Notable among these breeds is the Flemish Giant, originally bred as early as the 16th Century near Ghent in Belgium. Nowadays a frequently-exhibited show breed around the world and occurring in a wide range of colours, it can weigh as much as 30 lb without being obese, and in overall size is comparable to a cocker spaniel. Another extremely large breed is the Continental Giant, descended from the Flemish Giant. The world's largest rabbit currently alive is a Continental Giant named Ralph, who tips the scale at a truly staggering, non-obese weight of 55 lb!


Pretty big rabbits, would feed a family of five. Never heard of them. And I thought the Texas Jack Rabbit was big.



8 comments:

  1. I've eaten rabbits that dressed out in the 8lb to 12lb range. Never saw a 50lber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were big rabbits, what State did you kill or raise them in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't raise them. My cousins in northern MI did. I think one of the meat breeds might have been the Flemish one you were talking about but I don't know for sure. Most of the ones they raise were 3 to 4 lbs. They didn't have any fat on them. The big ones were very stringy and tough. We'd brown the meat in a skillet and then slow cook them in a crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to start raising rabbits. I started with 4 last summer. Two died. Now I finally got the two females bred with a borrowed male and then one of them died. So far the whole thing is kind of frustrating. I think if I get a good start the whole thing kinda snowballs. but now I'm looking at having to buy another female and a buck.

    I've heard of the Flemish Giant, but I don't think it is a common breed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother raises rabbits, I never had, so I'm no help. If you got room I recommend goats. I made more meat and money off them than anything. They'll eat anything. Find a cattle rancher and ask if you can run your goats with them as they will protect the calves from predators like Coyotes and eat the underbrush like briars and unwanted stuff. If it is a weed they will eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 15 acres and my uncle is a cattle rancher. So there might be some potential there. I think the nearest place I can sell goats is 100 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like roasted goat meat. If you have a few of them you can have a self sustaining meat source. Of course if you want to make cheese you'll have the goats milk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of dairy goats, I don't love the idea of milking goats twice a day. If I could make a living at it, maybe. But I have my doubts on that. So meat goats probably.

    That's the idea on the rabbits, a self sustaining meat source.

    ReplyDelete