Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Propaganda

Propaganda didn't used to be a dirty word until commies, Hitler and Edward Bernays. But the fact is we are bombarded by it everyday. Buy this car, drink this beer and drink this beer while driving this car (football commercials). Edward Bernays put it succinctly in his book Propagada (I believe he was the nephew of Sigmund Freud).

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.”
Edward L. Bernays, Propaganda

It is so true, someone will say something on the TV and a few people repeat it and soon everybody is repeating it. Bernays got women to smoke in the name of feminism and got fluoride in our water in the name of healthy teeth (saved companies millions in getting rid of their toxic waste). We all know how good smoking is for you, that's my favorite, let's empower women by getting them to engage in a behavior that will kill them. I also like the fluoride in the water thingy. People actually think that drinking fluoridated water helps their teeth, and that's why I drink sun tan lotion to keep from getting sunburned. Let's just admit it MPAI (Most People Are Idiots).

The time tested theory that seems to work every time, takes us to war in the name of peace, kills our unborn in the name of choice and convinces us that Muslims hate us for our freedom while simultaneously taking them away in their name. If I get to feeling better I believe I will get me one of them TSA jobs so I can stick my hands down other men's pants. Oh, what a thrill that must be (perverts). I'll take the risk rather than being felt off to fly. I don't know which is worse another man grabbing your private places or my plane blowing up in mid air? I think I will take the latter rather than the former. Yes, I'll take my chances on that one.

But just think about restaurants where by word of mouth some are the place to be seen or to tell everyone you were there this weekend. Hell, it don't matter if they served fried dog turds people would still go.

But not all people are idiots. My favorite Yogi-ism is when asked if he went to a certain restaurant he said, "Nobody goes there any more it is always too crowded."

No comments:

Post a Comment