Thursday, April 10, 2014

Traditional Bow Hunting

There is no way I can get all my bows in one shot of the camera, so I picked 3.

 
The top is a Bear 50 lb long bow
The center is a 55 lb Bear Super Kodiak Recurve
The bottom is a 1978 Ben Pearson Compound (Adjustable 50-60 lb - 50% let off)
 
 
I love Archery, but especially traditional stick bows. I got fairly good and then bought two books.
 
 
 

I got even better after reading those two books. Traditional Bow hunting is great, and I tucked my compound bow away. "Become The Arrow" is the fisrt book I recommend as it teaches you to see the trajectory of the arrow before you let it go. Instinctive shooting is more of a book on technique. Both are good books but "Instinctive Shooting" is either expensive or hard to find.

I have shot my friends new Cam compounds and they will throw an arrow like no other bow, but I still like the traditional stick bows better. I have gone back to wooden arrows, do my own fletching and points as you can see in the picture (click to enlarge) Being right handed and left eyed dominant it was a problem at first, but I learned to compensate. Most things I ever read say that it is easier to change hands than to compensate for eye dominance. While this may be true somehow I managed.

There is nothing as fun as starting traditional, going compound then back to traditional. This is what I did. When the first commercial compounds came out I had to have one. I put sights and noise suppressors and was stepping in high cotton, or so I thought. Years later I went back to traditional because I was bored or something. I wanted the challenge and won't ever go back to aluminum or carbide arrows and compound bows.

I don't think there is anything like stringing a stick bow and walking out with bow in hand and wooden arrows slung across your back. Shooting traditional is like learning to walk or ride a bicycle. Seeing the arrow go before you let it go is an empowering feeling. It becomes as easy as pointing your finger. No sites to hassle with, no range finder needed, just you and the arrow.

Making your own arrows and tuning your bow is fun. I'll take traditional archery every time, or you can pay almost $2,000 for the latest greatest Titanium Whapper Zapper and buy $9.00 arrows and bend or break half of them sighting it in. Or you can learn to shoot traditional bows and make your own arrows from stock. It is a great hobby.

9 comments:

  1. I also love bowhunting. I started archery with a borrowed recurve. My first bow was a bear whitetail 2 compound. Still use that one for bowfishing.

    My bow now is a Martin Cougar 2000. I bought it 1999. Cannot believe how time flies. I shot a muley buck last fall with it. Only deer I got all year.

    There have been huge improvements in compound bows in the last 10 years. Not so much with speed, as the new ones are only slightly faster. But they are amazingly quiet and smooth shooting. If they didn't cost 1000+ dollars I'd upgrade. Mine shoots fine, it is just a little louder than it needs to be. And yes the arrows are expensive, but they don't break, so much as get lost. If you break one, chances are a deer fell on it.

    Did you make your own bow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never made a bow, But read about how to do it, my dad made a bow as a child and it broke the first time he shot it. Laminating a bow is important, but I can't remember all the process. I'm not that traditional, and I don't ride horses ether like the Indians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I've considered getting into traditional, but I'd want to go whole hog and have a homemade bow too. That might be biting off too much, so maybe just a second hand one from a pawn shop to start.

    I suppose I should just shoot the bow I have, and get better with it. There is no reason I can't strip all the gadgets off and shoot it traditional. One of the reasons I got the bow I did, because it is long enough to shoot with fingers. I use a mechanical release now, but I started with fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giraffe

    Yeah, notice on the top bow grip is a shooting love and on the bottom bow string is one a well. Is there some way you can get you a 3.5 mb pdf file (I just compressed from 29 MB) to you. I got an email address I never use, but tell me you sent something there (so I'll check) in the comments and I will send you something for free that is really hard to get or expensive (or any one else, just put Bow in the subject line and give me an email address). Let me know in the comments so I will check it: (ru4cowboys at gmail). I had someone at work turn it into a pdf for me, he was a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I replied with attachment, check mail.

    ReplyDelete